This post will cover the question: “Can I get lip fillers while pregnant?”
With the Kylie Jenner craze of cosmetic injections, cosmetic fillers, dermal filler treatments, and dermal filler injections has left pregnant women wondering, ” Can I get lip fillers while pregnant?”
Many women want to enhance their lip size using lip filler treatment and other cosmetic procedures to achieve their desired aesthetic.
I get it, I had lip injections years ago, and although I liked the look, after more education, I’ve decided to avoid fillers.
Many conclusive studies show the potential risks and adverse reactions with the use of dermal fillers.
With concerns like lip filler migration and the effects of different types of fillers used, it makes sense to be extra mindful during pregnancy.
Lip fillers dissipate into scar tissue and don’t completely dissolve as we thought.
When making the personal decision to undergo a lip filler procedure, especially while pregnant, it’s essential to know if the presence of facial filler can affect your unborn baby.
If you’re a pregnant woman who wants to know the safety of lip filler for pregnant individuals and if there are any adverse effects of pregnancy.
Unfortunately, with little to no formal scientific studies on pregnant women getting fillers ( hard to risk it ), it makes us apprehensive about the safety of these cosmetic procedures.
If you have questions or concerns, always consult your healthcare provider before undergoing any invasive treatments during pregnancy. Let’s get into it.
This post answers the question, “can I get lip fillers while pregnant?”
What are Lip Fillers?
Lip fillers, also known as dermal fillers or lip injections, are cosmetic procedures used to enhance the appearance of the lips by adding volume, definition, and contour.
They are typically made from various materials, with hyaluronic acid being one of the active ingredients for the injection sites.
Hyaluronic acid is a natural substance found in the body that helps maintain skin hydration and volume.
When injected into the lips, it adds temporary volume and shape, giving them a plumper and youthful appearance.
The effects of lip fillers usually last several months, after which the body gradually breaks down the filler material.
The procedure involves a healthcare provider injecting the filler into specific areas of the lips using a fine needle or cannula.
The plastic surgeon can adjust the amount of filler used and the injection technique to achieve the desired results, which may include enhancing the size of the lips, defining the lip borders, reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles around the mouth, and creating a more balanced overall appearance.
It has culturally become one of the most popular cosmetic treatments in recent years.
Type of Filler
- Hyaluronic Acid (HA) Fillers: Brands like Juvederm, Restylane, and Belotero offer a range of HA fillers that are the most commonly used beauty treatments.
- Collagen Fillers: While not as popular, you might come across brands like Zyderm and Zyplast, which use bovine collagen.
- Poly-L-lactic Acid (PLLA) Fillers: Sculptra – the gradual plumper stimulating collagen.
- Calcium Hydroxylapatite Fillers: Radiesse uses calcium microspheres to boost instant volume and collagen.
All these treatment plans are commonly used to enhance one’s lip. They all give the general same effect using different materials.
Related Reading: 25 Best Pregnancy-Safe Body Lotions, Creams & Oils
What Are the Benefits of Lip Filler?
When I had my lips done way back in the day, half a syringe of Juvederm gave my lips a beautiful shape and pout. When done properly, lip fill can temporarily give your lips a gorgeous plump aesthetic.
- Volume Enhancement: Lip fillers can add volume to the lips, creating a plumper appearance.
- Definition and Contour: Fillers can help define the borders of the lips and enhance their natural contours, resulting in a more balanced and aesthetically pleasing look.
- Reduction of Fine Lines and Wrinkles: By plumping the lips, fillers can also help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles around the mouth, contributing to a more youthful overall appearance.
- Immediate Results: One of the advantages of lip fillers is that the results are visible almost immediately after the procedure, allowing individuals to enjoy their enhanced lips right away.
- Customizable: Lip fillers are customizable, meaning that the amount of filler used and the injection technique can be adjusted to achieve the desired enhancement level while maintaining a natural look.
- Non-Surgical Option: Unlike surgical lip augmentation procedures, lip fillers offer a non-surgical option for enhancing the lips. This means less downtime and a quicker recovery period.
- Temporary Effects: The effects of lip fillers are temporary, lasting several months. This allows individuals to experiment with different looks and decide whether to maintain the enhancement over time.
- Gradual Fading: As the filler naturally breaks down over time, the results of the lip filler procedure gradually fade. This can be preferable for individuals trying fillers for the first time and wanting a temporary change.
- Minimal Discomfort: The procedure is generally well-tolerated, with minimal discomfort. Topical numbing agents are often applied before the injections to ensure a more comfortable experience.
- Boosted Confidence: Many people find that enhancing their lips with fillers boosts their self-confidence and overall well-being.
As pregnant individuals, we obviously want to be mindful of the food we eat and the products we use on our skin; this includes making an informed decision on the safety of lip fillers while pregnant.
Currently, there are no extensive studies yet done to showcase the effects of Botox or lip fillers on unborn children.
All we know are the common effects on individuals who aren’t pregnant. Knowing there is always a risk to invasive cosmetic procedures and aesthetic treatments, it’s better to be on the side of caution during pregnancy.
Your body undergoes so many hormonal changes that will forever alter how it operates from here on out.
From blood flow changes to muscle stretching, we want to give our bodies as much grace to do it as possible without the possibility of lip filler messing it up, you know?
Pregnant patients are wise to be mindful of the generic side effects of lip fillers.
Lip Fillers Before Pregnancy
I can understand this may make you apprehensive about the existing lip fillers you may have.
If you’ve had lip fillers and are considering pregnancy or are already pregnant, it’s natural to have questions about how to manage your cosmetic procedures.
Here’s some guidance on pre-pregnancy lip fillers and what to do if you’re thinking about dissolving them:
Pre-Pregnancy Lip Fillers or Lip Implants:
- Consult with a Medical Professional: Before making any decisions about your lip fillers and pregnancy, it’s crucial to consult with your healthcare provider. They can provide personalized guidance based on your medical history and the type of filler you’ve received.
- Timing: If you plan to become pregnant, it might be a good idea to complete any cosmetic procedures, including lip fillers, well in advance. This allows time for the fillers to break down naturally and for you to assess if you want to maintain the treatment after pregnancy.
- Safety: Some studies suggest that hyaluronic acid fillers are generally considered safe during pregnancy, as hyaluronic acid is naturally present in the body. However, it’s best to err on the side of caution and avoid elective procedures during pregnancy due to limited research on the subject.
Dissolving Lip Fillers:
If you’ve had lip fillers and want to dissolve them, here’s what you need to know:
- Hyaluronidase: Hyaluronidase is an enzyme that can be injected into the treated area to dissolve hyaluronic acid fillers, including most lip fillers. It works by breaking down the filler material. A qualified and experienced medical professional should perform this procedure.
- Consult a Professional: Consult a healthcare provider or dermatologist before proceeding with filler dissolution. They will assess your situation, discuss your goals, and determine if hyaluronidase suits you.
- Procedure and Aftercare: The procedure involves injecting hyaluronidase into the filler to break it down gradually. You may experience some swelling and discomfort afterward, but this typically subsides within a few days. Follow any aftercare instructions provided by your healthcare provider.
- Results and Reassessment: The effects of hyaluronidase may not be immediate, and you may require multiple sessions to achieve the desired results. After the filler is dissolved, you can reassess your lip appearance and decide on any further treatments if needed.
Remember, pre-pregnancy and dissolving lip fillers involve medical treatment, so seeking guidance from qualified professionals is essential.
Always prioritize your health and well-being, and make informed decisions based on expert advice.
Related Reading: 41 Best Crystals for Pregnancy, Birth, and Healing
Lip Filler Alternatives
Just because it’s safer not to get lip filler during pregnancy doesn’t mean we can’t keep ourselves looking fresh! Let’s look at healthy and non-invasive alternatives to give you the pout you want during pregnancy.
1. Gua Sha
Gua Sha Facials are amazing at plumping your face while reducing lymph fluid that makes you puffy.
Gua sha massage, an ancient Chinese artistry rooted in harmony, presents a serene embrace for body and soul.
Guided by the gentle caress of jade or rose quartz tools, this practice orchestrates a dance of rejuvenation that soothes and revitalizes.
The tools’ cool touch gliding over the skin evokes a sense of weightlessness, gently coaxing stagnant energy to flow freely while releasing excess fluids and toxins beneath the surface.
As microcirculation is awakened, the skin responds with a delicate blush, a testament to its renewed vitality.
In pregnancy, gua sha offers a haven for enhancing lips’ plumpness.
It helps define your bone structure and provides healthy blood flow to your skin. It keeps it dewy, fresh, and plump! Use this time to indulge in pregnancy-safe skincare and beauty procedures! You deserve it mama!
I think you’ll be shooketh to see how much it improves you’re overall look and bonestructure! Try it.
2. PMD Kiss System
Their customer service is phenomenal, and their products work! Since lip filler isn’t an option during pregnancy, you can still get pretty close to your desired aesthetic with PMD Kiss.
It helps smooth out fine lines and wrinkles and improves your natural lip color, volume, and hydration.
With the help of a strong hyaluronic acid serum, hydrating peptides, and pulsating vacuum technology, PMD Kiss can safely boost collagen production, increase lip volume and reduce fine lines and wrinkles.
Who knows, maybe you won’t go back to lip filler after using this!
3. BUXOM Plump Shot Collagen-Infused Lip Serum
I absolutely love BUXOM Lip Serums! I’ve been wearing them for years. The colors are great, the texture is creamy and non-sticky, super glossy, and totally makes your lips plump.
They make your lips tingle; you can feel them grow! Find your perfect shade and rock it! They have a unique blend of peptides and hyaluronic acid.
The Vitamin E will keep your lips soft and hydrated, and it’s vegan! They have some of the best color selections of lip gloss in the market, and you will definitely find your perfect shade.
They are a fun and safe alternative to lip filler during pregnancy.
Other BUXOM Lip Serums I Recommend:
- BUXOM Full-On Plumping Lip Cream: I have used this gloss for, I think, ten years now, and it is one of the best plumping serums on the market. You can’t beat the color selection!
- BUXOM Full-On Plumping Lip Polish: If you love the shimmer and shine, you will adore this BUXOM line! The same plumping features with a high shine finish.
Related Reading: 9 Best Pregnancy Supplements New Moms Must Have
4. Lip Scrub
Lip scrubs are amazing. Exfoliation is super important for healthy, glowy and plump skin. Exfoliation helps activate blood flow to that area of the skin which aids in oxegyn flow.
This helps prmote healing and youll notice your lips look plumper and rosier after too! The coconut and jojoba oil in this Handmade Heros Lip Scrub will hydrate your lips and keep them pouty.
Other Lip Scrubs I Recommend:
- Hanalei Hawaiian Cane Sugar Shea Butter Lip Scrub: Your lips will be plump and moisturized with tasty Hawaiian Cane Sugar and uber-hydrating Shea Butter.
- Tatcha Kissu Lip Mask Scrub: I loved using Tatcha products during pregnancy. This lip mask is moisturizing and helps reduce fine lines while plumping your pout.
Lip Filler During Pregnancy
Pregnancy is a crazy time, especially if it’s your first go! You should be so proud; carrying a baby is hard work!
I can understand the want to look good during pregnancy and glow up with lip fillers; however, remember, for the safety of yourself and baby, it’s best to hold off until we have more data on the long-term effects of lip fillers during pregnancy.
I suggest getting facials, dermaplaning and pregnancy-safe peels at the spa to keep your skin glowing and healthy during pregnancy.
Check out which lotions are safe to use in 25 Best Pregnancy-Safe Body Lotions, Creams & Oils.